Virtual phone banking is one way we can harness the power of individualized phone calls while staying safe and comfortable at home.When we meet on Zoom we can get some initial training and support as needed throughout the event, plus enjoy a sense of camaraderie as we experience being part of a larger group..
Phone calls with voters have many benefits:
- After door-to-door canvassing, speaking on the phone is the best way to connect with voters.
- Phone calls gather critical data for campaigns, and are valuable for getting out the vote.
- They build community and make our groups stronger.
- Anyone can do it safely from home without having to travel.
How it works
Check out this video that Indivisible has created:
You will use Hub Dialer or other Virtual Phone Bank technology. You access the virtual phone bank using your computer. These are cloud-based systems that give properly logged-in users access to scripts and lists of people to call. Once you log in to your campaign, a script pops up with the name of the first person to call. The scripts are tailored to the people you are calling.
See this link for videos about using Hubdialer:
and some Hubdialer training videos:
The Technical Details
Each person will need:
- A fully charged phone, a computer or tablet, and headphones if possible.
- Be logged on a Wi-Fi network.
- The virtual phone bank login information.
There are different platforms such as HubDialer, Openvbp or Action Network, but they all work similarly. You will need an account. If you have one already, log in to your account. If this is your first time, you will create an ID when you click the link. Look for a verification email with a link to verify your account.
Once you log into your account, you will receive instructions to access the dialer and script which you can review ahead of dialing. When you begin, you will see the script and the name and phone number of the first person to call.
Now you’re ready to start calling voters to save our democracy!
Please see these other pages for more detailed information about holding a phone bank for your group: