Set a regular, standing phonebank day and time! “We’re phonebanking every Sunday. Start dialing at 11am; show up at 10:45am if you need training.” The big advantage of virtual phone banks is it’s so easy for phone bankers to sign up for a series, and show up.
Join other teams’ phonebanks to see how they do it!
To get people up and running, post simple log-in steps in the chat. For example:
- Go to https://indivisible-ma.org.
- Click Start Phone banking.
- Enter password.
- Log in with or create Action ID.
- Let me know if you have trouble with any steps.
Remind your Callers…
- Be friendly, upbeat and courteous. Smile as you speak as this actually helps you sound upbeat.
- Don’t waste time by engaging with someone who doesn’t support the candidate. Thank them for their time and move on.
- When you get a message machine, record it as a “not home” and do not leave a message.
- Try to reach everyone listed at that address.
- Set realistic expectations: many people will not answer; you may make 20 calls to actually speak to 3-4 people.
Capture the Information
- Each phone bank has a script which will show you how to record the information for each call.
- Remember: Even when you talk to someone who is not a supporter, you are gathering important data that allows for better targeting of important resources.