Text with Indivisible in support of progressive listening, persuasion and get-out-the-vote campaigns.
Resistance Labs aims to dramatically improve key outcomes for the Progressive movement, especially by capturing media attention in red and rural areas and recruiting new candidates where Democrats don’t typically run.
1. Review Texting Overview Guide
If you are new to Texting in the context of elections, then before reading further please review the Texting Overview Guide by clicking here. You’ll learn what texting is, why it’s important, and how it works at a high level. When you’re through reviewing, go on to the next step.
2. Learn about Indivisible and IndivisiText Texting
The Indivisible Project’s mission is to cultivate a grassroots movement of thousands of local Indivisible groups to elect progressive leaders, realize bold progressive policies and rebuild our democracy.
Through its peer-to-peer texting project, IndivisiText, Indivisible conducts listening, persuasion and get-out-the-vote campaigns for individual candidates, independent of the candidates’ campaigns. IndivisiText also texts for the organization’s Payback Project, which seeks to hold accountable 11 vulnerable Republican Senators, for their enabling and covering up for Donald Trump, by unseating them in 2020.
IndivisiText texting to voters involves using a web-based tool (TextOut) for desktops and laptops that doesn’t reveal your phone number, full name or location. IndivisiText uses Slack as a workspace for all communications among staff and volunteers.
3. Virtually Train on IndivisiText Texting
If you haven’t done IndivisiText texting before, you should follow the steps below to obtain training and credentialing. We strongly recommend going through the required training before using any texting tools.
- Read the IndivisiText Texting Guide
- Review the 2020 Indivisible Text Bank Training slide show.
- Join the IndivisiText Team Slack workspace by clicking here. (Note: the “join” links in the IndivisiText Texting Guide and slide deck reportedly are broken). The IndivisiText Team Slack workspace provides lots of information including on-boarding instructions, texting program announcements, and moderator support.
- Once you’ve joined the IndivisiText Team Slack workspace, you’ll receive further instructions in the #welcome channel. Follow these instructions carefully. On-boarding tasks include taking a quiz and getting credentials for the texting tool, TextOut (note that you will not be able to join IndivisiText’s TextOut workspace until you receive credentials from IndivisiText by following steps 1 through 4 here).
- Once you’re trained and credentialed, you’re ready to move to the next step.
If you have texted previously with IndivisiText and are looking for a refresher, these are resources available to you:
- Read the IndivisiText Texting Guide to refresh your knowledge. Note that IndivisiText replaced the Hustle platform with TextOut in late 2019.
- For more help, sign up with one of our volunteer trainers for a personalized session by clicking here.
4. Text Away!
Have at it and good luck texting!
You’ll find available texting information in 2 private channels in the IndivisiText Team Slack workspace:
- 🔒 endorsement-texting (for programs supporting specific candidates/issues)
- 🔒 statewide-texting (for specific state-focused programs such as the Indivisible Payback Project)
Use these channels for help/assistance with IndivisiText texting and its tools.
If you have questions or issues, please see the Other Resources section below.
5. Other Resources
IndivisiText Texting Guide (includes links to Training slides, Opt Out Guide and Slack webinars and online training)